So that happened. We officially had a transfer of power this weekend. We now find ourselves in a nation seemingly never more divided…while simultaneously never more united. As with everything in life, it all comes and goes in seasons. Each season leads into the next in cycles we don’t have to fully understand to know that eventually life will always find a way of rebalancing itself. Amongst massive change and upheaval, it is more important than ever to find time to care for yourself and those around you. To focus on what you want to be creating, what positive forward movement you can make towards actualizing your hopes, dreams and visions into reality. It may feel like a long road ahead, but you can start with just a few small steps. Here’s a helpful guide on what to do this week and in the weeks to come to take care of your heart, your dreams & your world.
SELF CARE SURVIVAL TIPS~
- Just through Friday, get off of Facebook. Call or meet up with friends instead. Real life togetherness brings connection and a sense of well-being you can’t get through a screen. Put the metal machine away and go be with other humans. Human touch is one of the most healing powers in the world (studies prove it). We are supposed to receive a minimum of EIGHT hugs a day just to keep a baseline level of happiness. So go rack up your eight hugs each day. Your heart will thank you for it.
- Practice some random acts of kindness. Say “Hello” to at least three strangers a day while you’re out in the world. Ask your neighbor how they’re doing, for real. Help someone get their groceries in their car. Offer to babysit for your friends with kids so they can go have a night out together. Call a friend you’ve had some distance with and reconnect. Apologize to someone if you owe them an apology. Volunteer with a local charity in your community. In Los Angeles, we love The Midnight Mission, which serves three hot meals a day to our homeless community and has a program to help get people off the streets and back into life. http://www.midnightmission.org . These are all small but powerful ways to make your immediate world a better place.
- Make a list of all the nice things you meant to do for yourself over the Holiday break but never got around to. An all-day pajama day? A massage? Alone time to read or journal? Give yourself the gifts you had most wanted but ran out of time for. Let Santa come reeeeeeal early this year.
- Take some Positive Inventory in your life. Take a moment to acknowledge your successes from this past year and envision what you want to create for the year ahead. Look at where you’ve come from, what you’ve accomplished and how you’ve grown. Then envision your 2017 goals—from your deep heart and soul instead of your head. Our mind tends to fill our New Year’s Resolutions list with “shoulds” that are often based in fear and lack mentality. Let’s circumvent all that and go straight to the heart and soul of the matter to discover intentions that feel inspiring, invigorating & in alignment with the absolute Truth of who you are. Listen to our New Year Envisioning Meditation to guide you and help chart a course for an enlivening and fulfilling 2017!
NEW YEAR ENVISIONING MEDITATION (click arrow to play)~
If you are feeling inspired to take action for our country, there are many ways to get empowered and get involved!~
- Find out who your representatives are and call them to weigh in on the issues that matter most to you. Experts suggest making six calls a day—to your two Senators & one Representative at both their D.C. and local offices. Speak to the person who answers the phone and tell them what issues you are calling about and where you stand. Pick 1-2 issues to discuss each day, favoring the ones that will be voted on soonest. You can find all of your elected officials here: https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials.
- Show up at town hall meetings or anywhere your representatives will be meeting with the public. This is the single most productive way to have your voice heard. Stand up, ask questions, ask them where they stand on the issues and let them know how you expect them to represent you. Sign up for your representatives’ email lists and social media pages so you can follow their appearance schedules and know when and where to show up.
- Donate to causes that will need your support now more than ever. Some of our favorites are:
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) – https://www.aclu.org
- National Resources Defense Council (NRDC) – https://www.nrdc.org
- Planned Parenthood – https://www.plannedparenthood.org
- Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) – https://www.splcenter.org
- Many organizations will provide you with easy weekly action plans delivered straight to your inbox, taking all of the guess work out of it for you. Find the organizations that are right for you. These are two of our favorite progressive action plans:
- Women’s March, 10 Actions For the First 100 Days –https://www.womensmarch.com
- Indivisible – https://www.indivisibleguide.com
- Keep showing up. If you’d like to continue being counted, come march on March 5th for International Women’s Day. https://www.facebook.com/events/221499078304152/
Now get out there, start creating your better world & get your eight hugs a day in!!
Sending you tons of love!
xoxo, Sirens & Scoundrels
Be sure to subscribe to Sirens & Scoundrels for unique local, travel & food adventures delivered straight to you! Enter your email address on our home page & hit “SUBSCRIBE”!
Follow us on Instagram: @sirensandscoundrels
© 2017 Sirens and Scoundrels