If you want to be the guaranteed hit of your next winter gathering, look no further than this Apple Crumble recipe. I’ve been perfecting this recipe for some time now and it never fails to be the sure-fire crowd (and stomach) pleaser at any party. I offer it to you here so that you can spread this edible joy in a baking dish to the ones you love and feel that immense satisfaction as they come back for seconds and thirds, scraping the dish clean.
Even though I eat flour, I adapted this into a gluten-free recipe for my many GF friends and to be honest, I prefer it this way now. Even when I don’t have gluten-free guests, I opt to make the GF topping because it’s lighter and melts away in your mouth perfectly. A simple switch of vegan sticks in place of butter can turn it into an instant and unexpected vegan dessert. It’s rare to find a dessert that has that same deeply soul-satisfying taste once it gets translated to gluten-free and vegan, but this one does. In fact, you could serve the GF vegan version to regular folks and they would never be the wiser. It really is that good. And the best part? It’s super fast and simple to make, with very minimal prep and clean-up. Serve it hot, topped with vanilla ice cream or vanilla vegan coconut ice cream for a culinary experience that gets the crowd moaning in gleeful ecstasy. Just be warned: this is a dessert that could make someone fall in love with you…so use it wisely! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
- 6 large baking apples (I used pink lady apples from Oak Glen), peeled & cut into ½” wedges
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- ground cinnamon to taste
- ground nutmeg to taste
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature (vegan option: substitute Earth Balance spread or sticks, cold)
- ¼ cup organic light-brown sugar
- 1 cup gluten-free baking flour (I use Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour)
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- FILLING~ Combine apples, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg in a medium-sized baking dish.
- CRUMBLE~ In a large bowl, mix together butter (or vegan spread) and brown sugar until light & fluffy. Add flour and salt—combining with your hands until big pieces start to come together. Sprinkle topping over apple mixture in baking dish.
- Bake until center starts to bubble, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm. Top with your favorite organic or vegan vanilla ice cream.
Be sure to subscribe to Sirens & Scoundrels for more awesome recipes & adventures delivered straight to you! Enter your email address on our home page & hit “SUBSCRIBE”!
Follow us on Instagram: @sirensandscoundrels
© 2015 Sirens and Scoundrels